Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Got Termites?

©7/10 Angela Beatty




Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ is
the same
yesterday,
today, and
forever.
~~~~~

In mid May sometime, I found myself sitting between these two trees overlooking the Allegheny River. Nature has a way of soothing my emotions when I'm upset (especially the sound of a River or the waves on Lake Erie), and I was upset.

As I sat there just soaking in the peace and talking to God, I leaned my back against the tree on the left and looked at the second tree. The tree against my back felt so strong, so secure, and so unchanging. I whispered to God, "Why can't life be this way? Why can't I trust it not to let me down?"

As I sat there, I noticed a piece of bark bubbled out on the tree to the right and began to stare. Before my unbelieving eyes I saw termites as long as my pointer finger begin to emerge from the bubbled piece of bark. I stood up to examine it and there was a four inch diameter hole eaten clear to the center of the tree. In that moment, I realized that given enough time everything in life is likely to let me down - no matter how secure it seems today.

Yesterday, the kids and I went to that spot and I curiously found the trees. In just two short months, half of the tree I had been leaning against has been eaten through and fallen into the water. You could see the fresh green leaves where it had bloomed and started the summer just like any other. But all the while, something was eating the inside away. The tree on the left has no face left on the water side, you can see clear to the heart of the tree where it's been eaten away. It's just a matter of time before it too falls.

But the good news is that although life has let me down, people have hurt me, and I've disappointed myself, God has never let me down. He is truly the only unchangeable thing in this temporal world. If there's any stability in my life I will find it in him!

The second lesson from these trees is to be careful of what I allow to "eat on my insides." Bitterness, anger, discouragement, or other negative emotions can erode even the stongest of individuals!







l

No comments:

Post a Comment